For more than 50 years, the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) has celebrated small business owners during Small Business Week. This week of celebration highlights how vital small businesses are to the nation and economy, and offers an opportunity for consumers to rededicate themselves to shopping locally.
This article explores what National Small Business Week can mean for your business and how you can take advantage of or participate in it.
When Is Small Business Week?
In 2019, Small Business Week will take place from May 5 through May 11. This event for small businesses is held every spring.
What Is Small Business Week?
Small Business Week is a week meant to highlight the importance of entrepreneurs and small business owners across the United States. During this week, small business supporters are encouraged to shop small at local businesses.
Why Does Small Business Week Take Place?
Small Business Week takes place because small businesses are of vital importance to local economies as well as the economy of the United States. More than half of Americans either own or work for a small business, according to the SBA.
The nation’s small businesses create an estimated two out of every three new jobs in the U.S. each year.
Where Does Small Business Week Happen?
This year, newly appointed SBA Administrator Jovita Carranza will kick off the week.
Small Business Week is celebrated nationally and can be celebrated anywhere a small business is found.
How Can You Celebrate Small Business Week?
Details of the national events have not yet been announced, so you should check the Small Business Week website for updates.
You can get information about events in your area from your local SBA district office. Even if you can’t travel to a national event and there is no local event near you, you can still get involved with National Small Business Week virtually by watching live or recorded events online, shopping at a local small business, or participating in the conversation on social media.
Look for National Small Business Week events and information on social media using the hashtag #SmallBusinessWeek, or follow the SBA on Twitter @SBAgov or on Facebook to get the most current updates.
A major focus of National Small Business Week is the awards ceremony honoring small business owners, entrepreneurs, and their supporters.
- Small Business Person of the Year Award
- Small Business Exporter of the Year
- Phoenix Award for Small Business Disaster Recovery
- Phoenix Award for Outstanding Contributions to Disaster Recovery – Public Official
- Phoenix Award for Outstanding Contributions to Disaster Recovery – Volunteer
- Federal Procurement Award – Small Business Prime Contractor of the Year Award
- Federal Procurement Award – Small Business Subcontractor of the Year Award
- Federal Procurement Award – Dwight D. Eisenhower Award for Excellence
- 8(a) Graduate of the Year Award
- Small Business Development Center Excellence and Innovation Award
- Veterans Business Outreach Center Excellence in Service Award
- Women’s Business Center of the Year Excellence Award
- Jody C. Raskind Lender of the Year
- Small Business Investment Company of the Year
Winners of the awards were chosen in March.
Read about all 53 National Small Business Week award winners—one of whom will be named the Small Business Owner of the Year during Small Business Week.
“I am delighted to recognize the 53 winners from across the country as they gather in our nation’s capital,” Linda McMahon, the previous head of the SBA, said in a press release announcing the winners.
Want to know more?
Sign up to get email updates about Small Business Week events.
Do you know someone who deserves to win a Small Business Week award next year? Keep an eye on the National Small Business Week website to find out how and when to nominate them.
The post Small Business Week 2019: The Ultimate Guide for Small Business Owners appeared first on Fundera Ledger.
from Fundera Ledger https://www.fundera.com/blog/small-business-week/